Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tracking Your Ovulation Is Harder Than It Seems

For "most" people, you can track your ovulation by charting your temperature from day to day.  The norm is for your temperature to be lower prior to ovulation, then a spike down and then up for ovulation, and then an increase or high temperature during the rest of your luteal phase.

The first month of charting, I had this perfect example of the temperature differences, including a spike down the day prior to ovulation and a significant spike up on ovulation.  So I figured, hey this thing is easy, we got this, let's try next month.  Well here's where it goes wrong...

The second month of charting I did not have the sudden spike signaling ovulation.  I thought maybe I didn't ovulate because I was kind of stressing over "the perfect time" since Tyler really wanted to try for a boy.  Since I didn't think I ovulated, and wasn't able to track it, I pretty much hoped that month would be a fluke and we'd try the next month.

The third month of charting I also did not have the sudden spike signaling ovulation.  I had several spikes, but then the following days the temperature would decrease or increase.  I was getting really frustrated and took again to the internet to see what I could find out.  Apparently not all ladies get the sudden spike in temperature for ovulation, it can also be a gradual increase over the rest of your luteal phase.  Now this was starting to make sense, because that's what happened in month 2.  I also found out that you don't necessarily ovulate on the same day from month to month, something else I was predicting wrong.  Bottom line, each month can be completely different, from the day you ovulate to how your chart signifies ovulation... great, this may be harder than I think!  Since I didn't feel confident I could "pinpoint" the day of my ovulation, we decided on the other route -- try multiple times during my "fertile" window.  I believe I was able to pinpoint my ovulation after the fact, and we just hoped that our method worked this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment