Wednesday, March 11, 2015

House Prep - Nursery & Office Redo

My Mom and I have been working these past few months on setting up the nursery and organizing the baby things we already have (thank you family!).  In our house, we have 3 bedrooms on the main level, and a den in the basement (no windows).  When we moved into our house, the back bedroom (next to the master) became the guest room, the smaller bedroom became the "eventual office" but ended up being a jumbled room full of boxes and odds/ends, and the den in the basement was the backup guest room (blow-up bed on the floor).  When I found out I was pregnant, my Mom and I spent a weekend rearranging rooms and moved what was the guest room (back bedroom) into the basement, and then the back bedroom became the nursery.  Here are some pictures of the "after":

Guest bedroom in basement.

Nursery set up in back bedroom on main level.  Crib is to the right (not pictured).

Once we found out the gender, we spent an entire weekend going through clothes that my sister gave us, and moved the girl clothes to the nursery.  We felt so accomplished and had the closet all set up with all of the baby things and a list made of what I already had and what I needed to register for.  We started to look at what fabrics my Mom had for nursery decor (and what she had already made for my niece's nursery) and decided a good weekend to paint would be over President's Day since we both had a 3 day weekend.

We were looking at paint samples in the room on Thursday evening so I could go buy the paint on Friday and we could start on Saturday, and Tyler came in with a curveball: He wanted to switch the 2 rooms on the main level - the back bedroom (which we had already set up as the nursery) would be the office, and the smaller bedroom (or "box room"/eventual office) would become the nursery.  

We had previously discussed bedroom layouts when my Mom and I moved the guest room into the basement and turned the back room into the nursery.  However, Tyler didn't like that the back bedroom buts up to the carport and he didn't want that to be an issue (him working in the carport and the baby sleeping).  What it really boils down to is the back room in our house has been the guest room, then the nursery, and now he wants it to be the office!  It took my awhile to wrap my head around this, but we decided it was best to switch the rooms.  What that really meant was a weekend of painting 1 room just turned into a huge undertaking.  Luckily we were able to call in reinforcements for some help!

We decided the order of business would be as follows:
-Move everything out of back bedroom (new office) - Tyler & I did this Friday night.  Everything baby related got put into the dining room.
-Paint the back bedroom - My Mom came to the rescue and did this Saturday!
-Move "stuff" out of the smaller bedroom (new nursery) - Our wonderful neighbor, April, came to the rescue and helped us take stuff out, go through items, donate, trash, etc, on Saturday.  Everything that we were keeping got moved into the living room and put in piles (office, craft, Shannon, Tyler, etc).
-Move furniture from smaller bedroom into the office - We were able to do this Saturday night while the paint was drying!  This room is very multipurpose - I have a craft area, a makeup/jewelry area, and Tyler has his office area, so it really took a long time to figure out the best layout!
-Paint nursery - My Mom once again came to the rescue and painted the nursery as well Saturday night and Sunday morning.
-Move baby furniture and stuff into the nursery - Tyler's Mom Sandy came up Sunday afternoon to help and we were able to get the nursery set up, and the closet re-organized!
-Move office items into the office and organize - We worked on this on Monday, along with other odds and ends.  I also had a snow day on Tuesday, so Sandy stayed until Tuesday afternoon and we were able to get a few more things done.  When she left (Tyler had to go to work), I got some much needed rest since we worked all weekend!

Tyler posted some embarrassing pictures on Facebook of what our living room looked like during the process, which I am going to NOT remind myself of the chaos and only post the pretty after pictures.


My new craft area and reading chair!

Old sewing cabinet that I use as a vanity for makeup/jewelry (this used to be in our bedroom, but I never got to use it since Tyler is usually still sleeping when I get ready for work).

Tyler's Desk Area.



Nursery!



We still have a ways to go with both rooms.  There is still some organizing to be done in the office, which we will continue to work on.  We have both successfully used the room already and are really liking having a place to do office and craft things!  Of course, as we use the space we are finding things that work and don't work.  As far as the nursery, most of the things left are decor related and I think my Dad is going to come put up some crown molding.


I think we made some serious progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment